Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Old Farm House

Ive been sitting around the house this weekend trying to come up with a new memory from my past that might strike an idea for next years huntso here it is in a nut shell( or maybe something bigger). I've wrtten about dreams coming true and it put me to thinking about a dream I had several years ago which took place in Lascassas, Tn. on a farm with an old abandoned, weathered farm house standing in the middle of the property and the woods grown up all around it. As I dreamed I seen myself on a camping trip in which my hunting buddies and I stayed the weekend in the farm house to hunt the farm and the weather was cold. We awoke on saturday morning after a night of hard drinking ( beer and cheap wine ), got dressed and ready to go hunting, headed out the front door. Upon stepping off the end of the front porch we all paused to relief our stomachs of the nights drinks then headed off to our picked hunting sites. As we got to the back corner of the farm house, we spooked a small group of squirrels playing on the ground which in turn spooked a herd of deer that was feeding 45 yards from the farm house one of which was a really nice tall racked buck. As luck would have it nobody got a chance for a shot due to everyone with unloaded guns, slow reactions and very bad hang-overs. Now you can imagine 5 hunters hunting with hang-overs in the woods with guns-- that's SCARY and STUPID. Needless to say my drinking days while hunting are long over and has become a seldom ever drinker now but I still try to hunt every chance I get. I returned to this old farm house the following week and did manage to take a small buck but never returned again and the property has now been turned into a houseing development area---another lost hunting area due to mans greed for money.

No comments: